Well I guess we all knew she would have to be served an eviction notice.
Well, miss Harper…you have just been served.
Today seemed uneventful. We woke up around 8-9. John had his coffee while I snuggled in my pillow mountain in the bed for an hour. after a good pillow motor boating I decided to get out of bed and fluff my hair.
After all-I was promised sushi before my doctors appointment.
We ate at rock n roll sushi -and it was DELISH. Best place in the ham for sushi I think! The waiter casually told us we would probably have a baby today. Haha, Jeremy…I know better. She never wants to come out!
Fast forward we go through the usual checks at the doctors office. She noticed I was still measuring a little small so she said shed send me for a casual ultrasound just to see what Harper was up to. No big deal. This happens every couple of weeks.
Before we left for the ultrasound she set us up an induction date! How exciting. We can FINALLY see the light at the end of this pregnancy tunnel!
December 6th. That’s when we would meet Harper! Woohoo!
We skip and hop to ultrasound.
Then we get to see our chubby baby.
Hello chubby bunny!!!!
Get this. The ultrasound tech let us know she has BIG HAIR! Many of you may not know that I have a blonde Afro if humidity allows. GIANT hair. Always have. It’s much cuter on a baby than an adult. I digress.
Then…the ultrasound tech let us know that Harper was measuring 3 weeks behind and we needed to head back over to talk to the doctor. Odd-they never send me back. I honestly thought that meant I’d be pregnant another month to let her grow. (please no more of this pregnancy stuff!!!)
The doctor lets us know that we will be sent to labor and delivery. WHAT? I mean I know I want her now-but I thought I’d have more mental preparation to drive myself nuts worrying about D day! Now I have to cram all the anxiety into a day!
Luckily I had our bags packed! Like I do every week.
So here we lay in the hospital with foley bulb inserted (OUCH).
And we wait. I have a feeling this part of the process will be hard so keep us in your thoughts. Especially John…he may have to visit the battered women’s shelter.
Updates to come if I’m not in too much pain!:)
The weekly packing of my bags.
Every week since I was admitted to the hospital with zero belongings and no way to charge my phone-I pack a hospital bag before my appointment! I keep a separate bag in the cube with clothes for Harper, John, and I…but I need the extra security bag!
What do I keep in the bags?
Well for the bag that stays in the car I have:
Newborn onsies, winter fleece outfits, hats, socks, and pants.
One swaddle that I like in particular from swaddlekinz.
Hospital gown (okay I bought a fashionable gown for after pictures )
Button up pj tops
Johns book (the birth partner lol)
In the bag I pack every week:
Tooth paste (I know the hospital has it-BUT last time, I had an emergency and NEEDED it ASAP.)
Travel size shampoo/conditioner
Nail polish (John is under contract to paint my nails if they appear to be in shambles.)
Nail clippers. (don’t want to scratch the baby. Or john.)
Digital camera w memory card
And the two most important: my blankie and phone charger!
Im sure I forgot to mention a few things but lets be real, I’m not getting out of bed and digging through the bags right now!
Maybe I shouldn’t bring them. Maybe it’s bad luck? Maybe if I bring the bags the doctor will tell me to wait until the 42 week to induce.
I should’ve bragged about this a long time ago…
Check out my cousin, mckenzie and her awesome videography skills!
For the second year in a row she is featured on theknot.com for her fabulous work. And her grand central station proposal filming was the top shared
proposal on facebook with over 23,000 shares so far!!! It’s amazing!!
Well, folks, if you live in the state of Alabama, you know what today meant! Game day for two of the southeast’s biggest rivals! Auburn vs. Alabama! FUN!!! John, Harper, and I went to my Auntie Kays to catch the game in her theater and to hang out with the family! Fun family…good food…nice little nap…success!
I owe my auntie Kay and cousin Mckenzie a big THANK YOU for coming and helping me get my nursery together after the big crisis. It is almost finished!! So exciting!
It’s that time again…time for the pregnancy stats!!!
How far along? 39 weeks. (9 months and 3 weeks pregnant ya’ll!!)
Baby size: about 20 inches long and around 6.5-7 lbs. (BIG ENOUGH!!!!)
Weight gain: Well I’m for sure steering clear of that evil scale the day after thanksgiving!
Cravings: Cranberry Sauce, fish sticks, ice cream, sushi…AND FOR THE GRAND FINALE…. PEPPERMINT MARTINI!! I know… I know… I can’t hit the bottle. It’s the darndest thing to crave after the scent of booze would leave me running to the nearest toilet gagging! It just must be the christmas season getting the best of me. Maybe one day this month when I am taking a break from breast feeding and have some stored I can have one!
How do you feel?
I feel maxed out. Everyday I have a thought of “I can’t possibly do this ANY LONGER!!”. Some days the back pain gets unbearable. Most days actually. Nothing triggers it or makes it better. Leaving me even more frustrated. When I stand I have to really concentrate because it just plain hurts. I can feel my back and pelvis straining to gain balance and control over me…and it isn’t steady. I lay awake at night every night watching John sleep wishing I could do that too. Usually around 3am I will get to sleep. THEN THE CONTRACTIONS AND CRAMPS START UP AROUND 5AM. It’s a miserable feeling. It’s hard sometimes to keep my spirits up. People notice when I’m in pain because I just zone out and try to concentrate on breathing and making it go away. I have had several people question if I was okay this week!
I am SO ANXIOUS about everything…how will John and I take care of the baby at night…do we do shifts and schedules? Will I be okay without him once he returns to work? What if I can’t keep the house in order? Will I feel like a bad mom? Will I need help to recover from my delivery? I’m scared!!!!!
What I’m excited about:
Finishing the Nursery this week
Painting our new cabinet in the kitchen.
Our next DR appointment monday!!!!! PLEASE TELL ME MY BODY IS DOING SOMETHING…ANYTHING!!! And if not, please talk about induction in the next week! I need to see the light at the end of the tunnel no matter what!
Going out to eat.
Cooking another turkey this week!
Well that is all. If you are feeling frisky and you like my blog, click on the vote for us button on the right side of my page. It’s a brown button. It will ask you if you are sure you meant to vote, just click the left owl and I will be voted for! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
It happened. I made it through thanksgiving dinner without going into labor. I either wanted Harper to come before or after. NOT during!!!! Good work.
Now on to the good stuff. The food. There were around 12 of us to feed. We had enough food to feed 42 people! It was awesome!!!
You have to see it to really get the full effect.
I’m so glad that thanksgiving didn’t fall on the early days of pregnancy. I can’t imagine staring that beautiful bird in the beasts And having to run away from it to dry heave.
Moving on…TO CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!
I’m not going to lie…I started decorating 2 weeks ago…maybe in wishful thinking…you know-”oh I won’t have time for all this the day after thanksgiving…after all I’m SURE Harper will be here!!”
This only means I’ve had more time and thought to put into decor! I must say…it looks lovely.
Next year I won’t start so early and we will have a little helper!
I can’t help but wonder what next year will bring! What traditions will we start? Will we have the big Christmas dinner at our house or will we be somewhere else? What will we get Harper? A pink three in one trike? YES!!! and snow…will we get a white Christmas?!! Maybe we will get that this year! I got one last year and it was fabulous!!!:) the day dreaming could go on for hours about what it will be like!!
yay! My crib bumber finally came in!!! Sorry for the blurry pictures, I will take better ones tomorrow and hopefully some of the finished nursery soon!!!
I went to the doctor today prepared for exactly what I was told. NO CHANGE. Of course. She has actually moved further up – ya know- AWAY FROM THE EXIT!!! Now that is discouraging. I guess I shall aim for a december baby after all. GET OUT BUNNY!!!!
I’m like a turtle. Being on my back is bad news. Usually it takes much thought and even more kicking/reaching/pulling to get up from said position. I’m like a rotisserie chicken at night. Enter the bed. Turn to the left … Continue reading
When The Gap outlet puts out their winter PJs!!!!!!!
I wait all year for this. This year in particular, since I have recently outgrown all my Santa pants pajamas from last Christmas! Now I have Santa pants that fit!!!
John saw the giant bag of PJs and said: “are pajamas the ONLY thing you plan on wearing?!!”
Yes. Yes they are.
Well I guess I should do the 38 week post.
How far: 38 weeks. For those of you who despise the “weeks measurement system”…that’s 9 months & 2 weeks. An excessively long time to feel like crap!!!!!
How do you feel?
Like crap. My back has been killing me. KILLING me! The 6-8 month markers passed SO fast. Now…it feels like each day lasts a week. Everyone says “you’re in the home stretch now!!” ugh. It feels like there’s no end in sight! How can a couple weeks seem so far away? How can I feel like this a couple more weeks? Come out, baby!!!!!
Moms size: let’s just say medium. I’m not getting on johns evil scale anymore.
Baby’s size: Ah I love this part! Thanks to http://www.hisbohscanswim.com I know that Harper is the size of an electric motor inside the 1 million dollar Telsa-a car that can go from 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. My baby app said she is the size of a leek. Who looks at leeks these days? I don’t think I like leeks. Last Monday she was right at 6 lbs…I think by this Monday she will be around 6.5 lbs. I can’t imagine carrying around a 9lb baby…how do women do it?! Amazing!
Movement: there were a couple days that movement really decreased and it freaked me out. No problem now. I’m getting kicked in the lungs and spine per protocol now.
Fish sticks. With pickle loaded tartar sauce. YUM.
Cherry passion ice cream courtesy of publix!
Bet moment this week:
Hello-today. Gap pjs.
Also-I discovered Glee Christmas and brittany spears pandora radio!!!
Things I miss:
The last 1.5 months(?) that were back pain free. Why did it go away-only to come back with vengeance?! I had a brief taste of the good life.
I miss my favorite reality tv shows!
Like…Bethanny Frankel…funniest mother ever!!! I hope the new season starts soon!
Teen mom (the original cast)….it’s only been off air for a month and every single Tuesday I find myself scanning the guide just to make sure it’s not a bad dream. its really off season. I can only hope to occupy my December tuesdays with a new teen mom 2 series. It’s not the original moms…but I’ll take what I can get!
oh yea…this goes without saying-I MISS SLEEP!!!!
That is all.
Harper is doing just perfect. And Mommy…well Mommy isn’t really cooperating. I have only dialted .5 CM and effaced 75%. AND YET I STILL HAVE CONTRACTIONS THAT LEAD NOWHERE! How discouraging. Looks like we may not see miss Harper until early December. She is having a blast in there and does not plan to make an appearance any sooner than we make her come
Do you think she’s dropped? I have suspicions because of how low I am feeling movement and the pressure of a bowling ball against my….er…my lady parts.
AIN’T THIS THE DARN TRUTH?!?!?!?!?! The end of pregnancy DOES so totally suck.
My BACK KILLS!! My sleep is nonexsistent. My feet feel bruised. It’s hard to walk more than short distances. It’s hard to sit for long periods of time. ie church I love church.
I’m pale as a ghost. No tanning for mommy. I’m nauseated when I eat. My stomach is always upset. I can never get comfortable. I walk funny.
MAKE IT STOP! MOMMY NEEDS A BREAK!
I’ve heard that the first 3 weeks after birth are Hell. This does not please Mommy. I hope that I’m not so miserable I don’t enjoy my baby. I hope it’s easier for me than it was the person I heard this from. John is going to have his work cut out for him. I may be a wreck and he is going to have to get me all together before I fall apart.
That actually may have to happen sooner than later!!
I want to make it up to ya’ll…I just had another Debby Downer moment! I will make some lucky winner a cute painting of you are my sunshine! Hopefully for your little ones room!
comment on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/BellRocks or on this post what you like about my blog and what you would like to see more of in the future!
then you will be entered to win!!!!!:)
Here is the prize ya’ll!:
Please click the top baby blogs link to the right side of my page to vote for me to be number 1!! Let them know you love me! It’s a brown button labeled top baby blogs. Once you click on that button two little owls will pop up-click the one to the left to vote for me.
Well since it’s still Monday in Birmingham so I can still call this our Monday giveaway!
What we are actually giving away is a coupon code for a product I am starting to love!
The Moody Sisters were sweet enough to let me try some of this sweet cream and body scrub!!
Their store site is: http://www.etsy.com/shop/moodysisters
Their other sites are: www.facebook.com/moodysisters
They use their facebook and blog to host giveaways monthly. The coupon code is GIVEAWAY for 20% off all orders.
PLEASE CHECK THEM OUT AND LET THEM KNOW WHO SENT YOU! DUH- BELL!
I love the stretch mark cream. Not only does it leave my bump smooth and soft…it makes it smell like a delicious (GIANT) cookie!!! This pleases the pregnant lady. Also…no sighting of any stretch marks on the bump! WIN.
On to the feet scrub. My piggies are SUPER SOFT. Not only that- they also smell like cookies!!! If I could bypass my giant bump and reach my piggies -they might be in danger of being snacked upon. I’m super excited to have these products! Go… run… click… to their websites!
I am sort of getting used to random people being nicer to me because they notice that I am pregnant.
PERKS OF BEING PREGNANT AND IN PUBLIC:
- Once you’re over that “is she just fat or is she pregnant” stage…people will constantly tell you how fabulous you look as a pregnant lady. I’ve even noticed that the gay men are super into talking to a pregnant lady! I’ve had so many sparkly men talk me up at the mall! LOVE IT!!!
- People will ALMOST always open the door and let the waddling lady go through first.
- If you look in distress at a store- someone will most likely help you- and go above and beyond to make sure you get what you were looking for.
- If your hands are full – people will take a load from you. I’ve had people go get me a buggy because I “looked like I had my hands too full”.
- People are more willing to talk to you…I guess because they have the perfect conversation starter! (I’ve found butchers to be a super friendly group of men. They’re all so jolly and have families to talk about!)
On the flip side…it’s even more appalling for someone to be rude to me these days. Maybe because I’ve gotten used to special treatment these past few months?? Maybe I’m taking it personally….I want to say “why are you being rude to me and my baby?!?!” The nerve.
Today I went to one of my favorite hip restaurants. The place was dead. When I said the rest of my 3 person party wasn’t with me yet, I was told to take a seat at the bar and let them know when my party arrived to be seated. I said “eh…I really don’t want to sit at the bar…” The girl looked at me funny and said that is their policy.
I must have been feeling extra spicy today. I asked the girl why I would want to take my baby to the bar? What If I went into labor? I’d need a booth asap.
Way to make someone feel awkward. She took me to my booth. And made sure to fill in our waitress of the crazy person sitting in said booth.
In fun news…Look at Tom:
He’s usually so good with photos. I think he’s nervous because we had a professional at the house…he’s a little self conscious.
The meat and Potatoes:
How many weeks: 37 weeks. For the people who hate counting those darn things up – THAT’S 9 MONTHS AND 1 WEEK PREGNANT. How far must this continue? I’m told 39 weeks. I hope no longer than 38. If that’s not compromise, I’m not sure what is.
Size of Harper: 6lbs!!!!!
The doctor says: my belly measures small but baby measures just fine! Her pulse is a little low but she could’ve just been tired. I was tired myself. I just have to pay close attention to how much movement I feel every hour and give them a call if anything changes!
Protocols initiated for eviction:
- I stopped taking my medicine that was meant to stop contractions earlier in my pregnancy, yesterday!
- I successfully bounced on the exercise ball for a good 15 minutes. Gravity, ya’ll.
- I ate a Krispy Kreme milkshake. Wait…that’s not an eviction protocol… oh well.
How do I feel?
It depends on what day of the week it is. Low activity is top priority. Besides the whole bouncing on the exercise ball thing.
Sweet potato casserole! YUMMY!
What I miss:
I can’t say it enough…SLEEP! I know I won’t get much sleep once Harper comes…but I would be grateful for even an hour or two of comfortable resting! When I do get to sleepy town I have nightmares! They aren’t your normal run of the mill nightmares of showing up to class with no underoos on either. THEY’RE BAD!!! AND SO SCARY!
Big things happening this week:
- Um…Maybe baby????? Please????
- Lots of eating. I bought several meats to make dinners with this weekend!
- Tomorrow we are picking up the rest of our nursery furniture!
- Church Sunday!
- Maybe my crib bumper will show up saturday…or Monday! That would be exciting.
I think only good things happened for me today.
I finished the paintings I want to hang in Harper’s room. SO CUTE!
It’s exciting to think that she will be here soon! And that she will make me happy when skies are gray. THAT’S REALLY GOING TO HAPPEN FOR ME! EEK!!! Daddy doesn’t even know what he’s about to get hit with. A love explosion I think!
And I looked at my nails today…FABULOUS!!!! Just spectacular. I always have this one random short stubby one that will break an make all the others look bad. But not this time. No sir. They’re all just glorious! I use a sephora white tip pen to do the trick and it works awesome!
And since I’m having such a great day – stay tuned for tomorrow. I’m feelin froggy and want to do another give-away!!!
Keep it real.
I love pants.
Skinny jean pants…
Bell bottom pants…
ESPECIALLY PJ PANTS!!!
John tells me all the time that I wear too many pairs of pants a day…but that’s silly! How else would I wear all of my favorite pants. Okay only 1/8 of my favorite pants still fit me – but I have bought belly accommodating PJs and I just love to wear them! So if you come over without telling me first expect to see a few pants on the ground. I go through them like a crazy person!
These are a few of my favorite pants:
- Banana republic PJs with super elastic waist bands… I know right? Who knew banana republic even made PJs?! I found them at our outlet store in Birmingham. It was a glorious day.
- Aeropostale’s seasonal fleece winter PJs…these were just put on the shelves this week, people! AND they’re half off!!!
- Gap maternity skinny jeans. I may just have to get these to wear AFTER being pregnant. That’s how comfortable and awesome they are. AND you don’t have to deal with buttons or zippers! HOW CONVENIENT!
Big things that happened yesterday:
- We went back to church – finally! After moving we have just had so much going on every weekend we put it off and put it off…I missed church! We will be going back next Sunday! I love our pastor at Church of the Highlands …it takes something special to be able to capture the attention of any audience…especially a YOUNG audience!
- John’s mom finished Harper’s nursery curtains -AND THEY LOOK AWESOME!!!! I told her she should do this for a living!
Big things happening today:
- The Michael Jackson trial verdict of guilty was announced! While I don’t agree with it- I’M SO TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT IT ON THE NEWS!!! Maybe I can see what’s going on with the world now! (Well until Nancy Grace finds someone new to talk about every single night)
- I started a small painting I saw on ETSY that looked simple enough. More to come soon!
- I found some hidden stash of Hallmark cards I had tucked away in a box! I LOVE CARDS! L O V E! My friend always tells me how thoughtful he thinks cards are because whenever he gets a card from someone, he thinks about how they went to the store and personally picked out a card…took the time to write in it…then put it in the mail! It is a thoughtful process. I have quite the stockpile of cards- Mostly birthdays and thank yous because that’s what I use most! Cards make me content.
- I waxed my eyebrows. You may be thinking “Why is this big?” …well because I had a nightmare last night about going into labor with BUSHY BROWS! Something had to be done.
That is all until later when I finish my painting!
I have decided that we have plans next week. Get this baby on the fast track to meeting Mommy and Daddy!
I’ve been fond of the current housing situation for you little bunny…but the past few weeks have been rough. Preterm labor was a lot. The kicking is a little torturous now. And false labor…may be even worse than preterm. Knowing I’m having false labor makes me frustrated and wonder when the real thing is going to hit…and how long does this have to go on? I’ve heard weeks! It hurts.
And I got to see your chubby face 2 weeks ago and I want to see it in person soon!!!
Don’t worry…I don’t plan on doing anything TOO crazy…but here are some options I found online!
How to evict Harper Mack:
- Bumpy car rides – hello people! I live across 3 railroad tracks. I travel over them 4 times a day. I feel like this is a myth.
- Light exercise – Walk the great dane? MAYBE!
- Breast stimulation – I haven’t investigated this much but I DO have a breast pump.
- Caster Oil – Women SWEAR BY THIS! it has a 60% success rate…this may be my knight and shining armor.
- Spicy food – Eh…I did this last night and nothing happened!
- Eating pineapple – Consider it done. I won’t even question the validity of the suggestion.
- Wink Wink…there’s another way to induce too but it would be TMI!
I also found this pretty nifty : Skipolini’s Pizza in California and Scalini Restaurant in Georgia actually served foods that helped their overdue women go into labor.
Protocol before heading to the hospital: (or if I feel like we may go the next day)
- Take a shower
- Groom in necessary areas. Areas that I can reach.
- Make sure my nails and toes are painted fresh. If no time, pack supplies to do so in hospital bed.
- Fluff hair up and style.
- Apply fake tanner.
- Apply and pack deoderant.
- Pack random things into pre packed bag and shout at John to grab other random things to shove into said bag. Which is already full.
- EAT A SNACK! They starve you at the hospital!
Things I’m worried about:
- Will John be home when it’s TIME?
- Will I lose it because of the pain?
- What if my nurse isn’t very nice?
- What if my doctor isn’t there?
- What if the doctor on call is THE ONE I BROKE UP WITH!???? He wasn’t a very good doctor…I might just hold the baby in until my doctor comes back on call.
- What if my body doesn’t cooperate?
- What if I crap my pants?
- What if I have to ask family to leave during the labor process?
- What if I have to get a C section?!
THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF BELL’S LABOR:
- John is not allowed to leave me at any time unless otherwise asked by the nurses, or unless I am free to eat and he has a giant handful of chicken fingers and ice cream. Any violation of this rule is punishable by a good stern talking to.
- During labor, this is all John’s fault. No matter what.
- No laughing or jolly behavior during an intense contraction. I hear that is frustrating to hear while you are about to die.
- INSIDE VOICES!!!! No yelling while attempting to have a normal conversation. Patients and nurses frown upon this behavior.
- If I do anything gross, please just leave the room! Run away! (Except John! )
- If you notice that my nails haven’t been painted- take the initiative as my new manicurist in between contractions. I assure you-the supplies are already packed.
- During pushing -Everybody needs to scatter and run except John. Standing outside the door with your ear firmly pressed to the crack is fine with me.
- If I forget to ask for drugs -either ask for me, or remind me!
- No pictures when I have my hoo-haa out.
- I reserve the right to delete any pictures after all of this.
- If I’m not allowed to eat – go outside to eat or you may lose a hand. And let’s be real ya’ll – you need those hands to hold the sweet princess coming.
What happens when we go home?
I am super excited for John and I to be able to spend the first week together with the baby at our house. That will be a great bonding time for the three of us.
After that week I may need back up to come in! Maybe a house guest for a couple of days…I’m just not sure what the future holds in that aspect!
I’ve heard people send casseroles. This pleases me. I like any casserole without lettuce or onions! My favorites are: Hashbrown casserole, Chicken pot pie, hamburger casserole, Chicken rice casserole, GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE WITH CHEESE ONIONS ON TOP! (The one exception to the onion rule…they taste like cheesy puffs!)
I feel like a little kid hinting as to what they want for Christmas. Don’t take it the wrong way – I’m just a hungry person in general. YUM!
Yay for Amy!!! You won the giveaway including autumn crisp shampoo & conditioner as well as a mineral mud mask!
I will forward your information to the awesome etsy store owner, Denee!
The shop website is: http://www.etsy.com/shop/NaturalByDenee
Today, I am a Debby Downer.
As usual, my Doctor visit was no fun. Same routine. Get weighed, take pants off, get assaulted, put pants on, get a needle stuck in me, leave.
I thought I was going to be able to stop taking whatever evil medication they had me on to stop labor today. Didn’t happen.
I actually saw the end of the discomfort in sight before today’s appointment. Not anymore! I could be pregnant for almost TEN MONTHS!!!!!! I just wasn’t expecting that. I convinced myself that the doctor would tell me I had started to dilate…that it’d be any day now…that we could set up a date to go to the hospital…
None of that.
It’s just been a sad couple of days for me!
I hope I feel better about this week…um…by the weekend?
Its hard not to think about how much worse I’m going to feel before I get to meet Harper and feel better! How do women with other children get through being pregnant? How do they not throw up on their own kids during the first trimester nausea? How do they pick up their kids during the second trimester back pain? AND how do they deal with tantrums during Braxton hicks, or bear to pick up anything over 10lbs, OR watch another child when they have to run to the restroom every 5 minutes?! HOW???? It’s amazing. Being pregnant 9 months is the hardest thing I’ve ever done.
Okay I’ll stop.
I found out that Rosie Pope will be doing a new mommy event at my workplace on November 18! Pregnant in heels? YES PLEASE!!!!
We had some GREAT sushi today at Rock-n-roll sushi! I ate every bite!!
We got our maternity photos today!!! Thanks to Jen at http://www.fondlyforever.com !!!
Part I: Beliefs
1. It is better to give a little ground and protect the peace than to stand firm and provoke a fight.
I feel like this is situational. Does this mean that hey bunny, you can stay up until 8:15 tonight instead of your regular 8 if you help mommy with her chores? I can see that as being reasonable! As opposed to just “no, bunny you can never stay up past 8″
2. Children need discipline that hurts a little so that they will remember the lesson later.
I don’t like the way this is worded. It sounds like “hey do you think you should beat your kid so it knows better next time?”…. I’m not very sure what kind of discipline John and I want to chose for our baby. I mean how can we know right now? We don’t even know her yet! What if she is a super emotional kid who learns her lessons from having her toys taken away for the day after doing something bad? Or what if she’s perfect and never does anything wrong?! One can only hope.
3. Children shouldn’t always get their way, but usually we ought to learn to listen to what they have to say.
I do think we should listen to what our kids have to say. I do feel like as a kid I was cut off mid sentence a lot. Maybe that’s why I interrupt people by mistake these days. I get really excited to say what I need to say and just blurt it out! Poor communication is a flaw most of us have – so of course John and I should try to practice better communication while teaching Harper to let us know what she feels.
4. The parent-child relationship is like a war in which if the parent wins, both sides win; but if the parent loses, both sides lose.
It shouldn’t be a war….but maybe sometimes it can feel like that? I’ve never done this before! I hope that what we want for our baby is right for her and is considered a win for both parties!
5. If parents provide a good environment, children will pretty much raise themselves.
NEGATIVE, GHOST RIDER!! Children who “raise themselves” are neglected! That is exactly why god made us parents…to protect, guide, and love our babies. If we are just providing a great place to live, a nice education, and all the food in the world to eat…and nothing else…we are just a bank account. Not parents. Children aren’t supposed to raise themselves. This statement makes me get all huffy! Cats raise themselves not kids! lol
6. The parent’s role is like that of a teacher who is preparing the child for a final exam called life.
This is pretty good. Agree.
7. Childhood is so short that parents should do everything to make it a happy time.
STRONGLY AGREE!! AGREE!! AGREE!!! AGREE!!!! I can remember so much from my childhood. Sometimes I recall memories and they aren’t so great – I wonder why I even kept them as memories. Don’t get me wrong, I had a great childhood, but every life has it’s hiccups. I want to do everything I can to create fun memories for all of us. I want to go on picnics, make traditions, and make super awesome memories by mistake! I’m so excited for this upcoming part of our lives.
8. “Spare the rod and spoil the child” is still the best policy.
The notion that children will only flourish if chastised, physically or otherwise, for any wrongdoing.
Again this phrase sounds rather abusive. I would like to stay away from spanking our child when she is misbehaving. BUT we just don’t know what it’s going to be like. We need to meet her and get to know her. I’m not sure how people decide on spanking a child before they even meet him/her. It doesn’t make much sense to me. Maybe just have the option open to discuss later if need be.
9. Children need to learn what they may or may not do, but we don’t have to use punishment to teach.
CORRECT! There are so many teaching opportunities in each day. Why not use them to encourage good behavior and to let baby bear know what is unacceptable!?
10. Whether we like it or not, children have the last word about what they will or won’t do.
Kids will be kids. I trust that we will have the knowledge to know what is right in each situation.
11. If you let children have pretty free rein, they will eventually learn from the consequences of their behavior what is appropriate.
I think this is why I see so many kids running over their parents! It’s like their parents have just given up and think they’ll have an easier life if they just let little Laura go color on the walls…after all she will be quiet while she does it… NO WAY!!!! We will NOT have THAT child. Our baby will not be the “bad kid” that we all see out in public or at events. She will NOT be the kid who messes up a stranger’s house at a party. She will NOT be the kid who thinks it’s okay to hit others. She will NOT be the kid who doesn’t say thank you, please, and you’re welcome! I feel like everyday now I see children and think “oh lord…please don’t let my child be like this!” BUT I’ve also been seeing kids and thought to myself “I hope Harper says these sweet things to me!!!”
12. Children first have to learn that the parent is boss.
No…that is an intimidating title. Kids shouldn’t be intimidated by their mom and dad! They should be able to share thoughts, ideas, but also know that the final say is what Mommy and Daddy say.
13. Too many children today talk back to their parents when they should just quietly obey them.
14. If we want children to respect us, we must first treat them with respect.
15. You can never do too much for your child if it comes from genuine love.
AGREE. As a parent you should do anything and everything to protect your child.