Do you have any time/hassle saving tips for new mothers?
- When I change Harper’s diaper, I ALWAYS place a clean diaper underneath the dirty one before I start to change. This way, it’s already in place AND if there is an accident- it just hits the backup diaper! It’s such a life saver.
- Change her diaper while she is eating a nighttime bottle (now that she can hold it herself). That way I don’t make her angry for messing with her while she’s trying to go back to sleep. Distraction is key here, people!
- We ALWAYS make sure Harper is fed before we bring ourselves up food to eat.
- Keep diapers and wipes in EVERY room that you change the baby in!
- When feeding solid foods, place a towel underneath so that all spills hit the towel. And BE PATIENT. So many people get frustrated when the baby makes faces, or doesn’t eat as fast as they’d like….in turn, they give-up and say “oh she didn’t like the food you sent her” or “she’s probably just not hungry.” YOU KNOW WHEN YOUR BABY IS HUNGRY. I know. Harper has a hard time eating while there are loud noises or distractions around. And sometimes she legit doesn’t like a certain type of food. In that case we pick her favorite and mix a little of what she doesn’t like in the good stuff.
Is your body back to the same as it was before pregnancy?
I am back to my pre pregnancy weight, in fact I was under 130 for the first time in 2 years last week. YAHOO! But…NO…my body isn’t the same. If it were the same, I could fit into all of my old clothes. This is simply impossible with most of them. EVEN though I’m back to my old weight. My hips are killing me, so I’m just hoping that they hurt from moving back into place.
When did you start baby foods, and what are the best/favorites? Do you give her any table food?
We started stage 1 baby foods at 5 months. It took about 3 days for her to learn how to eat like a pro. Now, she eats stage 2 foods – she LOVES Gerber’s new apples with vanilla. I can mix ANYTHING in that stuff and she will devour it! Sometimes she will eat two jars in one sitting! She really loves carrots too! We are still not ready to give her any table food yet. Some people have made fun of us or tried to make ME feel stupid for not allowing her table food, but she’s my baby and what I say goes. If someone can’t abide by my requests, I simply will lose all trust in them and stay as far away as possible.
What is your daily routine?
Harper wakes up around 8:30am and we go to play for a few minutes.
0930 – She eats her breakfast.
10:00-11:00 we play until / if she gets fussy.
11:00 – if fussy, I give her a 30 minute power nap and grab some grub for myself!
11:45 – She eats AGAIN
noon-3 we play and have fun.
3- I give her a bottle and put her down for a nap.
5-530 – She wakes up and is ready to play again! I offer her food.
Her last meal is no later than 8:00 so that she will be hungry at 1030 for her last nightly mixed bottle.
She SHOULDN’T wake up until 8-9am that morning!
Have you had any problems with people respecting your wishes while they watch your baby? If so, how do you deal with that?
Yes, several times. I’ve let it go and not responded to it SEVERAL times. It’s hard to not just get furious when you know that someone is deliberately going against your wishes. Very hard. When people accidentally do things that I don’t want to happen, I know it is well-meaning. BUT when it’s a blatant disrespect of my wishes, I lose trust and build walls. Immediately. And then those people are forever tagged as possibly unsafe for my daughter. It’s a protective issue I have, I just shut people out when they purposely step on my toes.
How have the events of pregnancy and birth effected you mentally?
Well I suffered from EXTREME IRRATIONAL anxiety after birth for 2 months. Sometimes I get down on myself if I feel like I am not accomplishing much in the housework division when I take care of harper. (ya know of course everyone and their sister will tell you “Well I had 8 kids, a job, and still kept my house spotless”)…suck it. Sometimes I’m afraid that John is overwhelmed by being around both of us, and that makes me sad.
What is the hardest part of being a mother?
- Making time for anything that isn’t baby related.
- Trusting others with my child.
- Taking care of how I look and my personal hygiene.
- Studying for school, while taking care of Harper.
- Thinking about how scary the world outside of our home is.
Are you still breastfeeding?
No, I stopped at 5.5 months. I felt SO guilty and worthless. The ONE thing I had been so good at was just disappearing, and there was absolutely nothing I could do to get it back. I feel better about it now that she is on baby food, because her poopies are more regular and normal.
Does your baby sleep through the night?
Yes. BUT ONLY RECENTLY. If yours isn’t yet, just wait, it’ll happen. Mine happened at 7 months. I was told it would happen at 3-4 months. What a let down. I am just now returning to my human self. I can get up and play at 8am now and not be bushed. It’s lovely.
How do you ensure that your baby gets a proper nap? What if you are outside of your home while the baby needs a nap?
I’ve come to the conclusion that if it’s time for her 3:00 nap, I need to be home for her to take it. Plain and simple. Nobody respects the rules of volume control when it comes to baby naps. It’s sad ,but totally true. People always told me she would be used to noise, but she isn’t. She wakes up when she hears loud conversations or doors slamming…that’s just how she rolls. So I am making an executive decision to always make sure we can be home for her big nap. In a nice QUIET place.
What baby items can you not live without now?
- BIBs. I complained about getting 200 of these, but now I seriously go through 8 a day! So, I was totally wrong, we needed all 200.
- Floor bouncer. It keeps her from getting into my food if I make a meal!
- Button up, or Zip up sleep suits from Carter’s
- My “momma” by Lancosh boob shaped bottles. They are the bomb! I can only find them at the pelham walmart!
That’s all for tonight!
Click HERE to vote for us on Top Baby Blogs!!