Things a new mom does NOT want to hear:
- “When is the due date?” REALLY??? I think the response to this would be “November, when are YOU/YOUR WIFE due?”
- “Oh my baby was sleeping all night at that age.” That’ll make a new mom nearly kick you into next week.
- “Oh you’re staying home?? I couldn’t just sit around at home all day LIKE THAT.”
- “Well my kids were eating whatever by 6 months – she will be fine if I give her stuff other than what you sent along with her.” HOW DARE YOU!? If she has a bad reaction to something she ate while not with us, who is coming home to take care of her? Who is getting screamed at all day by a sick/fussy baby? Who is going to the hospital with me if it’s a severe reaction? I can GUARANTEE it’s not the said “treat giver”! Think before you do people- or you will never get to see whatever baby you were watching if you blatantly step on the toes of Mom.
- “You better get some socks on this baby!” Okay people, my feet are ice cubes all day every day. You know what? I haven’t died from it. As long as she is happy barefoot, I am happy to let her be barefoot! It’s summer.
- “Your milk might be bad, or you baby probably just doesn’t like your milk” OH. MY. GOSH. You’re lucky you didn’t get football tackled by a hormonally crazed postpartum woman.
- “You can’t breast feed for too long.” LISTEN. It’s actually RECOMMENDED by pediatricians to breastfeed for the first 2 years of life. It has hundreds of nutrients and vitamins that anything produced in baby food does NOT have in it. It is actually the BEST thing you can do for your child. I’m sorry if YOU were unable to do it. But I could. And I would’ve done it as long as I had supply. Even if people judged me. Of course I was pumping so we wouldn’t have to go though that awkward latching every few hours no matter where we were at.
- “_______ is what’s wrong with her.” Why thank you, DOCTOR know it all!
- “what’s that big spot on her back from” Are you looking for her medical history?? Just assume it’ a birth mark, or even better, keep your thoughts on it to yourself.
- “I’m skinnier now than I was pre pregnancy.” Great. I will be going to jump off of a bridge shortly.
- Any single thing about weight. AVOID WEIGHT. Avoid it at all costs. It will get you on the naughty list just as fast as you can blink.
There you have it. Soak it all in.
**These things are my opinion of a FEW peeving comments made by MULTIPLE people to me. If I listed every condescending comment made to me regarding motherhood, well…heads would roll. I must include that this post is not for anyone specific at all. It’s just a “hey I was bored, realized I needed to post yesterday, and thought this was a fun topic.” kind of thing. If you actually know me, don’t take offense to it. Unless you think you’ve said these things to me ten times. Then you can be offended. Go ahead.